Android Apple Hardware iPhone

iPhone to Android SMS Converstion Script

As promised here’s a copy of my iPhone to Android script. Just a quick and dirty python script that reads in a backup from itunes and converts it to a bit of XML able to be read in by SMS Backup and Restore on the android platform

from sqlite3 import *
from sqlite3 import *
from xml.sax.saxutils import escape
import codecs
import re
f ='sms.xml','w','utf-8')
f.write ('''

# This is 31bb7ba8914766d4ba40d6dfb6113c8b614be442.mddata or 31bb7ba8914766d4ba40d6dfb6113c8b614be442.mdbackup usally
c = connect('sms.db')
curs = c.cursor()
curs.execute('''SELECT address,date,text,flags FROM message WHERE flags <5 ORDER BY date asc''')
for row in curs:
        a= escape(unicode(row[0]))
        d = escape(unicode(row[1]))
        t = row[3]-1
        t = str(t)
        b = re.sub('"',"'",escape(unicode(row[2])))

        f.write( ''+"n")
'''''' )

Apple Hardware Software

iPhone to Android

I’m in the process of migrating from my iPhone 3g to an HTC desire. So far i’m really impressed with the desire, but a full view on it is reserved for a month or so after I’ve used it day in day out!

One thing that I did quite want was to have my SMS messages migrated from my iPhone to the Desire. As the iPhone keeps the SMSes in a SQLite DB this wasn’t to hard. I’m going to post the procedure and the script I used later!

Apple iPhone Linux

IRSSI Prowl Notifications

A quick script to send notifications from IRSSI for privmessages and also for highlights, I’ll put more commentary on later, but for now..

use strict;
use vars qw($VERSION %IRSSI);
use Irssi;
use LWP::UserAgent;

$VERSION = '0.1';

%IRSSI = (
        authors => 'Welby McRoberts',
        contact => '[email protected]',
        name => 'irssi_prowler',
        description => 'Sends a notification to Prowl to alert an iPhone of a new highlighted message',
        url => '',
        changes => 'Friday, 10 Jun 2009'

######## Config
$PRIV_PRI = 2;
$PRIV_EVENT = 'Private Message';
$HI_PRI = 1;
$HI_EVENT = 'Highlight';
$APP = 'irssi';
$UA = 'irssi_prowler';

####### Highlights

sub highlight {
        my ($dest, $text, $stripped) = @_;
        if ($dest->{level} & MSGLEVEL_HILIGHT) {
                print "prowl($HI_PRI, $APP, $HI_EVENT, $text)";
                prowl($HI_PRI, $APP, $HI_EVENT, $text);

####### Private Messages

sub priv {
        my ($server, $text, $nick, $host, $channel) = @_;
        print "prowl($PRIV_PRI, $APP, $PRIV_EVENT, $text)";
        prowl($PRIV_PRI, $APP, $PRIV_EVENT, $text);

####### Prowl call

sub prowl {
        my ($priority, $application, $event, $description) = @_;
        my ($request, $response, $url, $lwp);
        print 'pri: '.$priority;
        print 'app: '.$application;
        print 'event: '.$event;
        print 'description: '.$description;

        ######## Setting up the LWP
        $lwp = LWP::UserAgent->new;
        # URL Encode
        $application =~ s/([^A-Za-z0-9])/sprintf("%%%02X", ord($1))/seg;
    $event =~ s/([^A-Za-z0-9])/sprintf("%%%02X", ord($1))/seg;
    $description =~ s/([^A-Za-z0-9])/sprintf("%%%02X", ord($1))/seg;
        # Setup the url
        $url = sprintf("",
        print $url;
        $request = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $url);
        $response = $lwp->request($request);
        print $response;

####### Bind "message private" to priv()
Irssi::signal_add_last("message private", "priv");
####### Bind "print text" to highlights()
Irssi::signal_add_last("print text", "highlight");
Apple iTunes Linux media Software

Issues with OS X 10.5 iTunes 8.1.1 and mt-daapd (aka Firefly Media Server)

I’ve recently upgraded my iTunes installation on my MacBookPro to 8.1.1 and to my horror found that I’m no longer able to connect to my DAAP library on my NAS.

This is rather strange as the issue has only just appeared in 8.1.1 and does not appear on my windows machines which reside on a different network, and have Bonjour / Rendezvous mDNS traffic broadcast locally by RendevousProxy. After much annoyance, I decided to do a quick check of what an older iTunes library was sending out, and comparing that to Avahi. It turns out that my Avahi configuration was missing some vital Text Records. This wasn’t an issue in previous revisions of the iTunes client, but appears to be an issue in 8.1.1.

I updated my daap.service file in /etc/avahi/services/ to the following

	  iTSh Version=131073

And restarted Avahi for good measure and now can connect to my mt-daapd library again!